Sunday, August 25, 2013

art trade

Last Sunday I was lucky to be able to hang out with my wonderful friends, Jenny and Violette.  Jenny and I drove up to Violette's magic cottage in Canada.  

We had planned to do an art trade, which turned out to be a lot of fun!

I made two pieces, one for each of them.  They are each 6" x 6".  Violette told me that she'd like a piece with Yoda on it and that turned out to be super cool to make.  I used some bright greens and blues and incorporated some of Daniel Smith's luminescent acrylic paint to give it a shimmer.

This is a photo of the Yoda piece on Violette's colorful coffee table.


The piece I made for Jenny, shown below, features a simple quote by Ray Bradbury.  "Creativity is a continual surprise."  As I think about it, I do like the surprise element.  I get surprised every time a make a piece of art.


You can see the paint-drip sides I did on Jenny's art piece.  I love doing this as a way to "frame" the piece.  I did the same on Violette's piece.


Jenny made us each a super fabulous, 3D collage in a shadow box.  Mine features UFO's and I just love it.  It is so me!  It is creative and unique, just like Jenny herself!



Below is a photo of the awesome shadow box Jenny made for Violette.  It is so cool!  I've never seen anything like Jenny's doodle, collage, dimensional shadow box. There are glittery parts too, that are hard to see in the photo.


Violette allowed us to choose art from her vast collection of funky and beautiful things.  I picked a "talking head" that says quirky and a cute little "freak" with a freak flag.  I felt those summed me up and I cannot wait to display them in my new home in Wisconsin.  She also gave each of us a Violette dog tag necklace, which I really love.


Violette did an interview with me on her blog.  You can read that here.


No comments: